Friday, November 23, 2012

Easy Peasy Zucchini Salad



Well it's hot.
And sunny...
So that spells for me ~ Salad.
Good bye winter and vegetables - bring on summer and fantastic yummy summer salads.




One of my favourite Sydney haunts - Harris Farm...


I don't normally like to give myself too much of a pat on the back - but - I must say - I am the salad queen!
If there's a salad to be constructed, I'm your girl!
Simple - yet delicious.
Some years ago, well, many many years ago, (I sometimes forget how old I'm getting), but I had the displeasure of having to have Xmas at an old boyfriends home way way WAY out west - ughhhhh, I'm nauseated just thinking about it..
anyway, it was Xmas.
and I had offered to make salads for Xmas lunch. After all, as I said, salads are my 'thang'!
Well, trying to rustle up some coriander was like trying to raise Jesus himself, and watercress - never gonna happen, adding nuts to a salad, well my then boyfriends mother, had other ideas...of course she did, she always did. But that's a story for another time...
She went on to produce a tomato, a lettuce, a white onion, and told me thats how people in the 'bush' make salads. The dressing......water, vinegar and sugar.
Blaaaaaaah.
Yuk!
Move into the 21st century people...
Salads these days are only limited by ones imagination.
Include fruits, nuts, a mess of leaves, herbs, whatever!
Maybe that's why some people find it so hard to get their kids to eats salads, because they're boring....
Well read on people and you too can be the queen of the salad bar - and your kids, husband, and friends will be clamouring for your secrets - as mine always are...

Easy Peasy Zucchini Salad.



As most of you know, Ive been in hospital and my appetite has been a little delicate to say the least.
So I have been craving my yummy simple, easy to eat salads and dreamt of this one while in hospital.
So as soon as I could, I had to rustle up a serving of this to die for dish...

Ingredients:


45 ml Olive Oil
30ml fresh lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1 large or 2 small zucchini's
1/2 cup freshly chopped mint
handful of beautiful black olives (I prefer kalamata in balsamic, or orange and rosemary olives c/o Ferry Rd Markets...)
Two big handfuls of greens. Baby spinach, watercress, rocket, just your preference.
150 grams goats cheese
1/4 cup pine-nuts toasted.
Salt and pepper to taste.

Instructions:

1. Mix together you lemon zest, juice and oil. Whisk into a yummy dressing.


2. With your vegetable peeler, make strips with the zucchini.



3. Put your zucchini ribbons in a large bowl with your leaves, mint, olives. Toss gently with your lemon vinaigrette to lightly coat.

NOTE:  I prefer to serve mine on a large wooden tray or large white plate, or you can do in a large salad bowl.

4. So which ever way your serving, place your zucchini salad on or in and then scatter your crumbled goats cheese and toasted pine-nuts over the salad and - voila - you are done!


This is a salad you will make time and time again...
It's so easy, and can be dressed up or dressed down depending on to whom your serving it.
But most importantly - its healthy...
It's my healthy happy salad for summer - yum....enjoy!

Let me know how you go and share with me here any twists you might add to your Zucchini Salad.

Cioú for now,
Your Pal,
Maria x x x 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please join in the conversation here....
Your input is more than welcome.